Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Kane County State's Attorney's Office Joseph H. McMahon - State's Attorney; State's Attorney's Office - Kane County Kane County State's Attorney's Office
37W777 Route 38, Suite 300
St. Charles, IL 60175
(630) 232-3500

Crimes Against Children

​​​​​Kane County CAC BuildingKane County 

Child Advocacy Center

The Kane County Child Advocacy Center ensures coordination and cooperation in the investigation of cases of child sexual abuse.

The CAC's executive director, prosecutors, investigators, social workers and support staff work together to efficiently and effectively investigate each case to minimize the stress on the child and the child's family that results from the allegations, and to ensure that effective treatment is available to every child who has experienced abuse.

The CAC is committed to providing a safe environment for child victims of sexual assault and sexual abuse.

If you believe your child or any child has been physically or sexually abused, call 911, or call the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services hotline at 1-800-25-ABUSE (1-800-252-2873).

Illinois DCFS and the police refer all eligible cases to the Kane County Child Advocacy Center.

5th and Campbell Streets, Geneva
Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday, except court holidays
Telephone: (630) 208-5160
Fax: (630) 208-5159

Reporting Child Abuse

​​​​Document ImageAs part of our continuing effort to improve awareness about child abuse and neglect and how the public can help, we have joined with CASA Kane County and the Kane County Regional Office of Education to produce this flyer, which is being distributed anywhere children gather. The message is simple: You don't have to be a mandated reporter to report suspected child abuse and neglect. Anyone can report it. Just call the DCFS hotline at 1-800-25-ABUSE (1-800-252-2873).

Reporting physical or sexual child abuse and neglect
Child abuse can take many forms – physical, sexual and emotional are the most serious. Anyone who believes that abuse has occurred should report their concerns for follow-up by trained professionals. More...

Mandated Reporters
Most people who work with children in any capacity are required by Illinois law to call the DCFS Hotline anytime they believe a child may have been abused.  More...

 Listen to a podcast about reporting suspected abuse or neglect


Additional links

Prevent Child Abuse Illin​ois
Children's Advocacy Centers of Illinois
Illinois Sex Offender Registry
National Children's Advocacy Center

Friends of Child Advocacy

Friends of Child Advocacy is a nonprofit organization that raises money to assist the hundreds of victims of sexually and physically abused children in Kane County and their family members whose cases are investigated by the Kane County Child Advocacy Center. Friends of Child Advocacy assists with funds for counseling sessions and medical examinations, supports advocacy programs, funds education and training for counselors, coordinates a holiday Sponsor-a-Family program for families in need, and provides the Kane County Child Advocacy Center with items that directly benefit child abuse victims. For more information about Friends of Child Advocacy, call the Kane County Child Advocacy Center at (630) 208-5160, visit the Website at or email

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How does the CAC become involved in a case?
A. All cases of sexual abuse or physical abuse against children that meet the CAC's criteria are referred directly by DCFS and the police departments within Kane County.

Q. What cases does the CAC accept?
A. Specifically:

  • Cases of sexual abuse or sexual assault to all victims under age 13.
  • Cases of sexual abuse or sexual assault to victims between age 13 and 17 when any of the following also are present:
    • Reports of use of a substantial element of force OR
    • More than five years age difference between victim and offender OR
    • Offender is a family member, caretaker or person in authority.
    • Suspect must be at least 10 years old

Q. Does the CAC provide sexual assault medical examinations?
A. The CAC does not provide emergency medical response for acute trauma. Acute traumas include incidents alleged to have occurred during the preceding 72 to 96 hours. Acute trauma is referred to local hospital emergency rooms. If during the course of an investigation it is determined that a child needs specialized medical services for ongoing abuse or any abuse that occurred outside of the 96 hour window, the CAC will arrange for the examination with a specialist trained in child abuse.

Q. My child is acting out sexually. Does this mean he or she has been abused?
A. Not necessarily. Children are naturally curious and normal development includes a range of sexualized behaviors. Children also are exposed to a great deal of sexual information in today's Internet and television environment. Many resources regarding normal sexual curiosity are available for parents, and we are always happy to answer questions or refer families to needed resources.

Q. What should I do if I fear my child has been abused?
A. If your child has made a statement about being abused, believe them and make a report to the police department where the abuse likely occurred. It is not your job as a parent to prove or disprove an allegation. Do not question your child regarding the abuse because this can be very confusing to them. If you suspect that your child has been abused by a family member you can report your suspicions to the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services at 1-800-25 ABUSE (1-800-252-2873). Whether you contact the police or DCFS, referrals will be made to the CAC and an investigation will be undertaken to determine what, if anything, has occurred.

Q. My spouse is late with child support payments. Can the CAC help?
A. No. For help with issues of child support, see the Child Support section of this Web site. Visitation disagreements or other custody issues require the assistance of a civil attorney.​